Motor vehicle accidents are a common occurrence on roads all around the world. In Australia, there were over 200,000 motor vehicle crashes in 2016, resulting in more than 1,500 fatalities and nearly 60,000 injuries. While most accidents result in relatively minor injuries, some can be quite serious or even fatal. In this article, we will discuss the five most common types of motor vehicle accidents and their causes. We will also look at the different types of injuries that can occur as a result of these accidents and how to seek legal assistance if you are injured.
What are the 5 types of motor vehicle crashes and their causes
Motor vehicle crashes can be classified into five general types: head-on collisions, rear-end collisions, T-bone accidents, sideswipe accidents and rollover accidents. Each type of crash has its own causes, which can vary depending on the location and situation. However, some causes are common to many types of crashes.
One of the most common causes of any type of motor vehicle crash is driver negligence. This includes driving while intoxicated, distracted or tired; failing to obey traffic laws or signs; and engaging in reckless behavior behind the wheel. Other causes may include poor road conditions, defective vehicle parts and animals darting into the road.
- Head-on collisions: This is caused by drivers crossing into oncoming traffic or driving the wrong way down a one-way street. They are often the result of driver error, but can also be caused by mechanical problems with the vehicle or poor road conditions.
- Rear-end collisions: These are usually caused when the driver behind fails to brake in time to avoid hitting the car in front. This can be due to distracted driving, following too closely or driving too fast for conditions. Rear-end collisions can also be caused by defective brakes or tail lights.
- T-bone accidents: also known as side-impact collisions occur when the front of one vehicle collides with the side of another. These types of accidents are often caused by drivers running red lights or stop signs, or failing to yield the right-of-way. T-bone accidents can also be caused by problems with the vehicle, such as defective airbags or side-impact protection.
- Sideswipe: This accident happens when the side of one vehicle hits the side of another. They are often caused by drivers changing lanes without checking their blind spot, or merging onto a highway without looking for traffic. Sideswipe accidents can also be caused by poor road conditions, such as potholes or debris in the road.
- Rollover: This accident occurs when a vehicle flips onto its roof or side. These types of accidents are usually caused by driver error, such as driving too fast around a turn, but can also be caused by mechanical problems with the vehicle or poor road conditions. Rollover accidents are more common in SUVs and trucks than in passenger cars.
Statistics for motor vehicle accidents in Australia
In South Australia alone, according to the Motor Accident Commission, there were 23,733 reported motor vehicle crashes in 2017. Of these, there were:
- 1,032 fatal crashes
- 5,067 serious injury crashes
- 17,634 minor injury crashes
- 931 property damage only crashes.
Out of 23,733 of these reported motor vehicle crashes:
- Human error was a factor in 96.3% of crashes
- Mechanical failure was a factor in 1.7% of crashes
- Environmental causes were a factor in 1.9% of crashes.
The different types of injuries that can occur as a result of a car accident
There are a variety of different injuries that can occur as a result of a car accident. Some common injuries include lacerations, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and brain injuries. These injuries can often be very serious and can require extensive medical treatment.
How to seek legal assistance if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident
If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can help you file a claim and negotiate with the insurance company. Here are some things to keep in mind when seeking legal assistance:
- Make sure you choose an attorney who specializes in personal injury law.
- Get a free consultation. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation to discuss your case.
- Don’t sign anything without talking to an attorney. Insurance companies may try to get you to sign a release or waiver of liability. Don’t sign anything until you have talked to an attorney.
- Keep track of all your expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Be prepared to discuss the details of your accident with your attorney.
In this article, we have talked about the different types of motor vehicle crashes that can occur in Australia, as well as the different types of injuries that can result from these accidents. We have also discussed how to seek legal assistance if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident. If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to seek legal help as soon as possible. Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today for a free consultation. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You could contact us here if you had been involved in a car accident, we would be more than happy to assist you.